Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Repentance and Catch Up

So its been a while since there has been a post and Mrs. MC has been begging me to begin again. I looked over the pictures and realized that I don't even remember how I cooked some of this stuff so I decided that as a means of cleansing the past and starting fresh a new I will simply post pictures of what we have cooked with some descriptions and then moving forward, especially now that I should be working from home more and thus cooking more, I will be more diligent in posting.

These photos are from a Vindaloo we made from one of Madhur Jaffery's recipies. If you like Indian food and really want to learn how to cook it, do yourself a favor and buy her Indian Cooking book. This book is amazing. We have yet to find something that wasn't good in here. Everything is well worth the effort. As with any Indian from scratch recipe I recommend reading it and prepping all the spices first so you can work fast. Anyway, this was a lovely Vindaloo. A little hot but next time we will make it hotter.


Next on the catch up docket, Cathedral Windows. These are a tradition from Mrs. Mc's family and we make them every year just like they did. We however are chocolate snobs and instead of using Chocolate chips or Hershey's nasty chocolate we use Cadbury's Dairy Milk, except now that Kraft has bought out Dairy Milk we are apprehensive about its future quality. Anyway this is the only good use I can think of for those weird fruit flavored colored marshmallows.


I made my own fish and chip batter! I used Flour, Sparkling water, baking powder and some spices I think. It was way simple and the batter turned out great. The pictures make we want to make this again. This time I will note the recipe and post it.


Next up Stuffed Mushrooms. This recipe I can tell you. Its something I have done a few times before. I take the Cremini mushrooms and remove the stems and leave the cap with the little depression where the stem was. Then I chop up the stems, some red bell peppers and some garlic. I fry up a wee bit of sausage, preferably hot italian and once the sausage is cooked I throw the cut up stems and red peppers into the mix and saute them. Once that is all cooked I let it cool for a minute and add some parmesan cheese and panko bread crumbs to the mix. Then I stuff the mix on the mushrooms, splash some olive oil on the bottom of a baking dish and sprinkle some salt on that. Place the mushrooms in the pan with the stuffing facing up, then bake at like 350 until the crumbs brown. I have added extra crumbs to the top before as well. Its yummy.


Finally we made these awesome Chocolate cookies. I raided all the chocolate we had in the house as it called for copious amounts of the brown gold as attested by the piles on the scale. These combined into an amazing cookie. Again next time I make them the recipe will be here.


So that is my catch up post. I am sorry there are no recipes but hey sometimes you have to make a cut and start over. That is what I am doing. If you want any recipes to these things post a comment and I will dig through my memory or files and find one.



No comments: