Saturday, November 24, 2007

I don't particularly like Minestrone



Tonight Mrs. MC wanted Minestrone soup. My mind, in horror,  instantly flashed to the plethora of soggy vegetable stews I have experienced in my life. My grandpa used to make something called Mulligan's Stew. Its like Minestrone on steroids. Mrs. MC makes Minestrone from time to time and I usually have one bowl, out of love for her, not the soup. So having just finished a 14 page paper for class, I wanted to cook the soup. I needed to stand up for a while anyway. Now comes the confession. I ate two bowls. Here is how it went down. 


6 qt. stock pot
2 stalks of celery, diced
2 carrots, pealed and diced
1 small yellow onion
2 Tbls Butter (the real stuff please)
2 Cups Diced Red Potato
1 Qt. Canned tomatoes, drained
1 Qt. Vegetable Broth
2 Cups Fresh Green Beans
1 Zucchini, Diced
1 Can beans, white, drained
Some pasta, shapes not spaghetti



Your chopped veggies should be about equal in amounts. This is similar to a mirepoix but since the ratios are not 2:1:1 I would be castigated for calling it that, but you could use the mirepoix ratios, in fact I think it would be better. Anyway, sweat the veggies in the butter in the bottom of your pan. Sweating is not sauteing. Sauteing equals browning, sweating equals translucence. If your stuff browns the pan is too hot.
 
Once the onion and celery become somewhat see through add about two cups of diced red potato and stir for about three minutes. This is where I wanted to add fresh garlic but I was out (gasp!). If I had fresh garlic I would add a couple or more cloves diced. After stirring the potatoes for the three minutes I added one quart jar of homemade canned tomatoes with the liquid drained off and one quart of vegetable broth.
 
Now spice to taste. I used a lot of garlic granules since I was out of fresh garlic, and salt and pepper, some thyme, a little cumin and some mustard powder. This is where you can make it how you like it. I let the concoction simmer for about 10 minutes until the potatoes were starting to get soft. Then I added about 2 Cups of fresh green beans snapped in half and one diced zucchini. Cook this until beans are to your liking. I like mine crunchy but not rock solid. Add one can of white beans, drained. I was out of white so I used pinto. White would have been better. I added about a half can of water to keep the mixture from getting too thick. Then I added some Farfalle (bowtie) pasta. Cook until the pasta is al dente and then season to taste. 

I served this with homemade bread with butter and it was a hit. I think even the kids ate it. MMMMM. 

No comments: