Sunday, December 9, 2007

Non-conformist Pork Loin







Last night was the annual ward Christmas party and we volunteered to cook a pork loin. It was a beautiful piece of meat. It was almost three feet long with just enough fat to make it tender, if cooked right. Which is where the nonconformity comes in. See the recipe we were given called for salt and pepper and shoving some garlic slices into the loin at irregular intervals. Then it requested that we bake it for 1 to 2 hours. Well is it 1 or 2 hours? I had visions of cardboard dancing in my head. So I decided to rebel and cook this thing my way. It was for the good of all involved, I promise. So here is how it went down. 


Thanks to Mr. AB (who cannot be named for fear of lawsuits, but if you watch any cooking shows on a certain cooking channel and don't know who AB is, you should probably pay closer attention next time) I decided to use a dry rub I learned from him. 

8 parts Brown Sugar
1 Part Salt (Kosher of Course)
1 Part Chili Powder (I used a nice deep red roasted one)
1 Part Misc Spices (I used garlic Granules, Mustard Powder, Basil, Cumin, Black Pepper)


We did this mixture using a cup of Brown Sugar so  it was a Cup of that and an 8th of a cup  of everything else. You can make as much as you like but that was a perfect amount for this piece of meat. 
So this all happened the night before. We rubbed the loin thusly. 


We rubbed the back and front massaging the rub into the savory flesh of the loin. And then we wrapped it up in two layers of Wide (this helps immensely) tinfoil.

It looked like a happy tinfoil sausage at this point.

















Our seasoned happy roll was then placed in the fridge to chill out over night. We put in on a standard sheet pan diagonally and it mostly fit. The next day we made the glaze sauce base. 

1 cup Chicken broth
1/2 Cup Red Wine Vinegar
2 TBLS Worcester Sauce
3-4 Smashed up garlic cloves
1-2 TBLS of Honey

Mix this all together and bring to a boil then let steep for a while. Then open up one end of your pork roll and pour it in. Cook (this is called braising) for 3-4 hours on 225 F. It wont burn unless all the liquid dries up. Which at 225 would take days. I used a probe thermometer to check doneness and pulled it at 190 which is actually hotter than it should be but it didn't hurt it. Anything after 180 should be more than hot enough to kill the bugs. After it has cooked open one end of the foil and dump out all the liquid into a big sauce pan. At this junction I actually moved the loin onto a new sheet pan lined with foil since it was being served later and to the public. At home I would have left it in the old, now discolored, tinfoil. Put the loin into the now extinguished oven to rest. Now boil the liquid for a long time. This stuff needs to go from water consistency to BBQ sauce consistency. Do be afraid to let it boil and boil good. It took about 30 minutes for ours because we had so much sauce. Once the sauce is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon, spoon it over the loin. Don't be shy, this is the divine ambrosia that makes this dish. Then hit the loin with the broiler until the sauce starts to caramelize (it will turn brown and bubble, it might even get black in one or two spots). Cut and serve. In our case we then brought the loin to the chapel and it sat in the oven for over an hour staying warm. They wouldn't let it play with the other loins because it was different. When dinner was served Mrs. MC found her way into the kitchen and acquired some of the banished loin which we shared with our table and our favorite graphic designer who was nice enough to save us a table near him. I even got our favorite vegetarian to eat some, and she liked it! For all the trouble this little anarchist loin caused in the kitchen it was sure a hit among those who tried it. In fact the servers who invented the other recipe took the left overs home and gave the packing material leftovers to the missionaries. 

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

So good! I was actually one of the very few that got to try this blessed loin. Thanks man for making my meal great and causing me to eat way more than I should.

Drew said...

Our pleasure! I appreciate those who appreciate my food!

Alyson said...

Looks delicious! Wish I was ther to try some.

Emmy said...

I like your website - thanks for sharing this recipe. My friend raved about it! We will try it this week! Also, I like the idea of the Mormon Cooking. . .I never know how to sub those ingredients. Thanks, again.

Screwed Up Texan said...

Beautiful! Looks so good I could eat it now. Of course this is after I just ate a bacon sandwich a generous side helping of bacon.